Sunday, October 5, 2008

Soup For The Soul





Fall is definitely here. We are experencing that lighter much cooler air. The love bugs have been and gone. Thank the Lord they are gone! Allergies, colds, flu and viruses are here...YUCK! I have my fill of those every year. Yet it is still nice to see and experience a change in the weather.



I never realized until someone told me that everything in the physical can be compared to everything in the spiritual. It took me awhile to relate things and catch onto that statement but now I understand. For example, when you think about the seasons changing. Things have to die in order to live. We have winter so we can have spring. We have to die in order to live. Paul tells us we must die to our flesh daily. (Luke 9:23; And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross DAILY, and follow me). We also die an eternal death and if we are born again have a new life in Christ. You may relate the seasons changing in a different way for your spiritual walk and life but it is true that everything can be related. All the beautiful colors of fall, the oranges, reds, yellows and browns and when I see pictures of states further north who have beautiful white snow, I think about how only God could create such beautiful seasons and things for us to enjoy. Each season has something beautiful and special to offer from God that he spoke into exsistence.



All we have to do is turn on the news and it is so easy to get down and distracted from what all the Lord has blessed us with. God doesn't want us to allow satan to steal our joy. What God intended was for his children to enjoy His creation and all the beautiful blessings He has given us. Take a look around and enjoy your creation and blessings the Lord has given you. Today if nothing else take time to stop and thank the Lord for what all he has done. God is in control. Everything that this world has to offer will let us down but he will never leave nor forsake us. He will never change. (Hebrews 13:5b...I WILL NEVER LEAVE THEE, NOR FORSAKE THEE).


I'm conviced with everything that is happening with our economy, we as Christians should not be afraid. (Hebrews 13:6; So that we may boldly say, THE LORD IS MY HELPER, AND I WILL NOT FEAR WHAT MAN SHALL DO UNTO ME). Fear is from satan and God doesn't want us to live in fear and defeat. (Matthew 6:31-34; Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? For after all these things do the Gentiles seek: for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof). The Lord clothes the liles of the field and knows when a sparrow falls how much more does he know and care for the needs of His children? (Matthew 6:30; Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?)He said He would meet our NEEDS, not our WANTS. (Philippians 4:19; But my God shall supply all your NEED according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus). Learning to be content with those is often a struggle for us as sinners who "want" what we want, not just what we need. (Philippians 4:11; Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content). Today be mindful that God has brought us this far, He is going to see us through to the other side. Enjoy each day and seasons and the different beauties they bring that God has so richly blessed us with!


Along with cooler weather comes time for warmer meals. This is one of Brian's favorite and mine as well. The easiest Camp Stew recipe I know of. Give it a try, we love it, especially during these cooler months!



In a large pot,


1 chopped onion and 1/2 stick of butter melted and cooked a bit (if you don't like onion or don't have one, I've left it out before and you can't even tell

2 cans of BBQ pork (Castleberry)
1 can of BBQ beef (Castleberry), they do not carry these at Wal-Mart
2 cans of corn (drained)
3cans of potatoes (they come round and I quarter them)
2 cans of stewed tomatoes (make sure they are just tomatoes, nothing else like added bell pepper)
1/2 - 1 cup of Ketchup (this is probably wrong but I never measure, just pour till it looks good)
2 tsp worcestershire sauce (on this either)
3 tsp lemon juice (this either, well actually on a lot! But it's still delicious)
1 tsp. tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cups of water


Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. Take it from a robust, plump woman (don't you love those politically correct descriptions for FAT???) this is delicious!!! In fact, it's so good I was going to post some pictures of my pot but WE ATE IT ALL!!
=-) So you will just have to settle for my "colors of fall" pictures!

6 comments:

Beth said...

I think we are thinking along the same lines today! I have not been feeling so good last night and today, so I stayed home from church and have been here most of the day alone. Well, guess where I've been...in front of this computer. Kinda odd to say that I've enjoyed it because I feel aweful but in the same way it's been so nice being here all ALONE!

So, while I've been on the computer I have looked at all kinds of FAll stuff. I LOVE this weather! I downloaded a ton of beautiful Fall pictures. I'll put them on my blog!

I feel like I am reading one of my devotional books when I read your blog! You should write a book!!! LOVE YOU!

Dawn said...

Beth,
I am sorry you aren't feeling well today. I have relapsed with this cold 3 times and today I have felt terrible myself! I took those pictures of the fall leaves. I started to download some but I decided to get out and try to find some to shoot. I am so glad you enjoy my blogs...when I started this I thought, what will I write about and since then it has just flowed. I worked on that "soup for the soul" this afternoon and tonite at church Bro. Frankie used some of the same verses as in my blog!! I was so touched by the Lord I started to cry. Blogging has touched my life in so many ways. Thank you again so much for getting me started in this!
Love,
Dawn

Julie said...

I definitely got my devotion for the evening. You are doing a fantastic job with your blogging!

Shonna said...

I love reading your blog...Happy Fall!

Anonymous said...

We loved the pictures! (Mama informed me that one of them was a pic of a gingko tree.) I like that you answer back to our comments...we thoroughly enjoyed the soup for the soul it was truly SOUP FOR THE SOUL. And we are def trying the recipe!

To Brian:
I'm sure Brian loves the jungle book song because he heard it soooo much at home. When I listened to it I immediately pictured the monkey singing.

PS. Yall better be coming to fish river with us this week. Go ahead and make plans!!!!

Dawn said...

Julie and Shonna,
Thank you both so much for the sweet comments. I am enjoying blogging...more than myspace actually. I never get on myspace anymore. I used to stay on it, now I stay on blogspot! I am glad you both are enjoying my thoughts.

Amy, Kimberly and Mama,
You all have had that lovely soup. Remember when you came to the party for Brian passing the Stats class. We had it then but it's been awhile and it's good all the time, so enjoy!

Brian is just a big kid at heart. I can't wait to have kids with him. He's so funny with Lizzy and Bella when he isn't tired and busy with school. I Love to watch him dance and sing that song...he makes me laugh. I'm chuckling now just thinking about him doing it!

Brian says he loves you all too and to behave. He says he liked the jungle book before you but with you all he had to listen to it more! If he wasn't listening to that, he had to listen to twitty bird "and the poor putty tat went *poof*"

I didn't know about the fish river trip. I wish I could come but I start my new job, so Monday is piano, Tue is Oasis, Wed is Oasis, and Thur is piano. It's the workin' woman blues! How long will you be there? Don't have too much fun without me if I can't make it and think of me often!
Bunches of Love!
Dawn