Friday, November 28, 2008

Christmas Time's A Comin'

Normally I am not a Holiday person. I don't like the holidays at all. To me, we are way too focused on the wrong things. I like getting together and enjoying time with family and friends but I do not like the fact that most things are closed and shut down, it seems depressing. I feel out of my normal routine. It's such a hustle and bustle and worry to buy gifts which isn't the true meaning of Christmas anyway. It seems too much about gift giving and too little about the time and celebration of Christ's birth. There is one thing I am looking forward to this December 19th. Brian will complete his B.S. degree and I am thrilled! So thrilled in fact that I have ALL of my Christmas shopping done and ALL of my decorations out. I plan on spending time with this sweet man of my life when he graduates!!!


I am so proud of him but I am so tired of seeing this sight it has become a "sore eye" to me. He practically eats, sleeps and drinks in this room. I feel like I don't have a husband and I will be thrilled to spend as much time as possible with him when December 19th gets here! We plan on doing "NOTHING!!!"

Brian and I were discussing the other day about how the Lord has always seen fit to bless us with just what we need always in exactly the right time for when we need it. As most of you know, we have been trying to have kids for 5 years now so Brian and I were talking about that on our trip to Pratville. We talked on and in our discussion talked about how the Lord has always done things for us in His best time and not ours. We realized that maybe the Lord sees that now isn't the time for us to have children with our busy lives and Brian in school. When Brian started school he was fortunate to recieve a scholarship but lost it in January of this year. We had no idea that would happen but the Lord knew. I often wonder how we would have made it this year with children. I know we could have but it wouldn't be the way we would want it to be and the Lord knows that. It isn't always easy to accept the Lord's will for our lives but it sure makes it a lot easier when you can look back on things and say Wow, God is so good to us, He sees the future and knows what is best for our lives during the present. Maybe that explains why I treat these two little monkeys like my kids! My Dad thinks I'm insane, so it's okay if you do too! I probably shouldn't spoil them like I do but I feel like if and when God does see fit to bless us with a child I will put the spoiling I put on these two on my children. Until then this is what brings a big smile to my face...

















When we first got Isabella these two absolutely hated each other!! You sure can't tell it now!

Lastly I will post a picture of my Christmas Tree. I'm not sure if you can read the sign above my fireplace. I found that this year and absolutely loved the saying which reads, "Simplify Christmas...Celebrate Christ" I can think of no better saying and no better reason or way to celebrate CHRISTmas!

10 comments:

Lori said...

I love the holidays normally, but I do understand what you're saying about us focusing on the wrong things. Ben and I have cut WAY back on presents this year and are trying to focus on what's important too. I think it's great the way you and Brian are open to the fact that God is working in your lives and will do what is best in His time. That's really hard to do somtimes. Congrats to Brian on his degree. Huge accomplishment. The house looks wonderful!!

P.S. I treated my dog like a child too!!

Anonymous said...

Well, one good thing about this time of year is the fact that we have an excuse for all of us brothers and sisters to get together and play games! I am excited about that. Maybe if we are on Brian's team this year he want call us Dimbos!!:)

P.S. The decorations look really good! I like where the tree is this year.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dawn,
I'm excited that Brian is almost done, yall are due for a much needed break! I enjoyed your post...I agree with you 110 percent. I am all for getting away from the gift giving for people who have everything. Let's adopt a needed family instead! Check out Stacey's blog...I think that we would enjoy a family trip in lieu of gifts. Love you!

Julie said...

You are absolutely right! It isn't about the gift giving but more importantly about the gift that God gave us years ago-baby Jesus. He's the best gift!!!

Congrats to Brian on his degree. I know y'all are excited for him and ready for some R & R!

Sara said...

I am so proud for Brian! I know exactly how you feel. It is wonderful with Rob being finished. Life is much more laid back for him. I agree with you about the meaning of Christmas. Everything is so commercialized now. Maybe we can get together sometime over the holidays. I do miss you so. I love you!
PS. Since you are finished with your shopping (and wrapping I see) you can help me with mine!

Dawn said...

Lori,
Thanks for the sweet comment, that means a lot. Your right, in fact allowing God to do what is best in His time is one of the hardest things ever! I appreciate what you had to say!

Amy,
Yes I am looking forward to the games and being called a Dimbo once again. I want it to be after the 19th and maybe even AFTER the 25th so that everybody will be relaxed and can have fun!! Thanks for the sweet comment, I'm glad you like where the tree is! Me too, it is where we sit most,so we can enjoy it this year!!

Mrs. Cathy,
I'm not sure we could make the trip with the way our schedules are but I do like the idea of adopting a needy family! Maybe we can look into that next year! That would be awesome to do as a family!

Julie,
Your so sweet. Thank you for all of your sweet comments you always leave me!

Sara,
Yes I hope we can get together soon, maybe if not over the holidays we can catch lunch or possibly another movied together after the "busy" holidays are over! Take care and thanks for the comment!

Beth said...

Way to Go Brother, Again!!! I know y'all are excited to have a break!

And I am SOOOO with you on the gifts!! John and I are getting two gifts for John Luke this year! He gets so much from others and all throughout the year! And I want him to know that Christmas is NOT about presents!

I am looking forward to our games! What are we going to play????
Love y'all!!

The Martins said...

I didn't know you had a blog page either! So glad I got the chance to look at yours. I LOVE your tree and stocking! We have stockings for our pets too. Haven't bought one for Kady yet. Guess I need to do that, huh? Congrats to Brian on his upcoming graduation. I have a friend who graduates from UWF on the 13th. She crammed a four year degree into 6...haha! Hope to see ya'll very soon!
Stacey

jeff and rebecca said...

Hey you sweet girl!!! I have missed you! Our lives have been so chaotic lately. Maybe we can get back to our e-mailing each other soon. I looked so forward to each correspondence I received from you. You have grown into such a beautiful creature in Christ!!!!! I am so glad to have you as my dear friend!!!! By the way, your home looks beautiful and your kids are adorable. Tell Brian that now we are officially the SAME age!!!

Anonymous said...

Well,I guess I'm the only person I know that is excited about Christmas! Everyone says they can't get into the spirit... I definitely do NOT have that problem. I started listening to Christmas music the first of November! Perk up people... Jesus was born!!! And hey if someone wants to give me a gift or two go right ahead! :) But I do know what yall are saying. It has become all about Santa Clause and shopping and gifts and that's not what its about. But we can't let that get us down. I love all the hussle and bussle. All the poeple running here and there and being right in the middle of it. Especailly at home when all of Wing comes to cook and Granny makes her famous dressing and fudge! I just LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! I can't help it! I'm sure this will be a Christmas to remember for Brian! I am sooooooo proud of my big brother, I can't even put it into words! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!