Sunday, February 1, 2009

Anaphylactic Shock!?!?

Saturday night around 6p.m. when Brian got home from work, he was complaining with his throat feeling like it had a rock in it and someone was pulling down on his throat. He said he had the symptom all day and the day before and it had progressively gotten worse. He was now gagging every 5 minutes. I finally talked him into going back to the E.R. where they did a chest x-ray and found his throat was about 95% blocked. The Dr. told us another hour and we would have had to call an ambulance and they would have had to do a trachiotomy. The Dr. believes it is caused from an antibiotic Brian has been taking for about 10 days called Bactrum for a sinus infection. They admitted Brian to the hospital and are giving him high doses of steriods, benadryl and epinephrine. He feels pretty good until those begin to wear off and then he feels his throat begin to swell again. It's a very uncomfortable and scary feeling, hence it makes him rather nervous and anxious. The nurse told him had he went to bed last night and tried to forget about it that in his sleep he would have never known and he would have went into respitory arrest. I am so thankful today that Brian is feeling somewhat better and that the Good Lord above is taking care of us and watching over us, even when we don't realize it. I ask that you remember Brian in your thoughts and prayers today as he recovers from what could have been a lot more serious problem than it is. Hopefully he will continue to recover with the high doses of medication and be able to come home tomorrow. Thank the Lord for his goodness, mercy and grace in our lives once again!

6 comments:

Lori Griffin said...

I'm glad Brian is ok! You both must have been so scared! I hope he gets to come home tomorrow and feels better very soon!!! We'll keep him in our prayers!

Carrie said...

That is wild. I didn't know that about Bactrim. Is that common? I am certainly glad he's ok! The Lord IS always looking out for us. We will definitely keep him (and you) in our prayers! BTW, you have become a blogger slacker! (I can say that because it takes one to know one!) Your house looks WONDERFUL! I wish Jason and I could get motivated. I would like to say that it's always the deer are running or the fish are biting, but I have to admit, I am not excited about diving in myself. There's just so much to do! Maybe soon...tell Brian to get well soon! We love y'all!

Lori said...

So glad that he's better. We'll continue to pray for a complete recovery!!

Dawn said...

Yes it was a frightening experience and he still isn't out of the woods just yet! He is having shortness of breath and is very flush and red faced I guess due to the steriods! It has been quite the trip for me and I have decided if I worry about Brian like this maybe I couldn't handle children...whatever way, God knows best! Thanks for all the prayers, care and concern!
Love,
Dawn

jeff and rebecca said...

Hey sweet girl! I have been VERY busy lately and have not been blogging or even looking much at any blogs. I just got the chance to see yours. Your place looks wonderful!! You and Brian have obviously been hard at work. I am so sorry to hear about his sickness. I am sure that he will be up and around soon. He certainly has a terrific wife to take care of him. Although I have heard that nurses make the worst patients!!! Call Myrtis if he gets too out of line!!

Julie said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad that the Good Lord placed him in the care of the doctor's hands ASAP!! I'm glad that he is doing better and will continue to lift him up in prayer!! Keep us posted on his progress.